You Are Reading

Why Am I Here? What Do I Want to Learn?

Identify and explain 5 reasons why you chose to study on this program

1. Intense Course with a good structure and what is, in my opinion, the best environment to work and learn in.
2. To develop my practical skills both digitally and in other aspects of design.
3. To help get my career in design kick started. This program is a good way to guide me to take the right steps towards networking, meeting the right people and getting my name out there.
4.  To help find my own unique style within design, and to do this by constantly challenging myself, brief after brief and experimenting with different aspects of design.
5. Help organise my time  and work professionally to get me prepared for the real world of design.

Networking/Business Cards // Source : Tales Of A Designer




 Identify and explain 5 things that you want to learn during your time on the program 

1. Networking and getting my name out there through the medium of self promotion. Websites, Blogs, Flyers, Business Cards. I want to be able to put my name and work out there and be able to make contacts with people in big places.
2. The basic principles and background of graphic design has always interested me but i would like to gain a greater knowledge of this to see how it started and how it has changed and evolved over the years, but still kept the same principles.
3. I would also like to gain a greater knowledge of some techniques within Graphic Design. Letterpress is something i have never had the chance to do, but always wanted to. I would also love to create some work including, embossing or maybe foiling.  Leaning how to book bind is another skill i would like to learn on the program and of course get better at screen printing; combining and layering more colours and different designs to create a finished piece.
4. A better knowledge of design in the real world. I would like to achieve this by speaking with professionals, working with professionals and start to get into the same mentality of a professional designer.
5. The best software to use for each different aspect of design, instead of using Photoshop for everything.  for example, Leaning how to effectively and professionally create a type in Illustrator.

Letterpress // Source :  FFFFound

Foiling // Source : RDK Graphics

Identify and explain 5 skills that you think are your strengths 


1. I believe my biggest skill is working in Photoshop. I know the program like the back of my hand (at least i think i do, there is always new stuff to learn everyday). The biggest proportion of my work using photoshop and that may vary from digital illustrations to layering and collage work, flyer design, book layouts etc.
2. Photography is another skill i believe i have quite a good understanding about. I like to included photography wherever i can into my work (as long as it is suitable).
3. Collaging is probably my favourite aspect within Graphic Design. I like to collect different stocks, old photos, materials and basically anything i find interesting to recycle and creating art that is brand new, never been done before or contemporary.
4. Illustration is another aspect of design that i tend to work with, depending on the brief.  I like to illustrate with clean. bold lines, much like 'Michael Craig-Martin' does and a lot of my work reflects that.
5. Poster/Page Layout design is something i have always included in most of my projects and believe i have achieved great results.

Poster and Page Layout : Source : FFFFOUND


Identify and explain 5 things you want to improve 


1.  Illustrator, Indesign, Flash. I need to work on improving my skills in all of these software. I want to build up my skills enough to be a really versatile designer.
2. Organisation and Time Management skills. I am not really unorganised and i usually get everything done on time, but i would like to be able to know exactly what i need to do and when so i can plan a full brief.
3.  I would like to experiment with some form of packaging design this year so would like to learn more about the manufacturing and physical production side of things.
4. Learn how to not only design to the design the best but also put together a professional final peice. Wether that is printing, making screen printing or embossing.
5. Creating Type.

Packaging Design // Source : Lovely Package
Creating Type // Source FFFFOUND


Identify 5 questions that you want to find the answer to

1. What is the best way to self promote myself and begin to network?
2. How to create more pieces of work using Illustrator and Indesign? I want to gain a better understanding of this software, so i am at the standard of what i am when using Photoshop.
3. What type of designer am i? What aspects of design do i like to work in more than others?
4. How much have the 2nd and 3rd years leant over their time on this course?
5. How can i get myself into work placements?

Adobe Illustrator and Indesign // Source : I'd Rather Be Writing

Identify and explain 5 ways that you will evaluate your progress 


1. By constantly reviewing and commenting on all the work in my blog, seeing how i can improve and progress forward with each design.
2. Trying to better myself each time i get a brief.
3. Peer assessment and reviews will get the feedback i need from fellow designers on my course.
4. The Moodle forums will also help with getting feedback and will get everyone talking to each other about better idea etc.
5. Other various feedback throughout the year on external blogs, practising professionals or on work placements to see how things run int he real world.


Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.